Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Day 26: The Role of Food in Our Lives: Catch 22

So here's the thing, I've been racking my brains on what to do on a scorching weekend in this country and it is so difficult to find anything that does not involve food!

a) Activities (outdoor) - forget about it! not in this weather

b) Staycations - yes, there are a lot of summer offers and yet you still have to eat or you would want to eat. Somehow it just doesn't feel right if you don't enjoy the buffet breakfast. Mind you, the hotels in this country are far more superior in service, food offering and rooms than in Europe as per my experience. We are just spoiled here.

c) Staying at home - and doing what?? We cant even have like a special dish for the day that we both can share. I will have my CD food and he will have his Banting food.

Food is and has not been for nourishment only. It is also a social thing. It brings people together, creates experiences that eventually create memories. It is a good thing (most of the time). You want to try a new cuisine, its so easy, just go there - sit - order - eat - have nice conversations - pay and go! You have spent your time with the people you want to spend it with and enjoyed. You go to a friend's house to hang-out, you eat, chat and be merry. You go for a movie - popcorn and nachos.

We have a lot of options here, Dubai is mix of nationalities and authentic cultures that trickles down to food. You want Indian food (from Kerala, Goa, Mumbai etc)? You got it cooked fresh for you. Arabic food? No problem -, Lebanese, Egyptian, local food right along Sheikh Zayed. Japanese food? yes and can get it delivered too. Persian? Afghani? Thai? Russian? Tunisian (oh my brik.. I love brik!)? Sri Lankan? Mexican? Catalan???

So many food options!!

Im seriously boggled about this and somehow I feel deprived. BUT I also feel like really? There's nothing else that can occupy my time aside from eating?! Sad reality eh?

If you are on this course of eating healthy, you have to be extremely cautious, aware and resilient. It is a task being healthy!

However, when I see old people back at home, those who really didn't care much for the food that they ate nor have they been conscious about their fitness, well, they are experiencing aches and pains that could have only been because of old age, which could have been prevented or lessened if they have done the investment at an early stage.

When I used to workout a lot, I was thinking of how my muscles (maintaining them) will not only help me now but also as I age. I will not look as physically fit then but I'm sure I will feel the benefits of the muscle support to my bones, my posture, as long as I don't overdo it.

Same thing with food. I've heard/read that the cancers that we have are partly caused by our diet. We don't really anything natural anymore. The speed that our lives are going made us susceptible to convenient(fast) eating, and the healthy stuff, well they cost more!! Poverty alleviation is an ongoing cause which I don't see any end to.

In other news, feeling so bloated today. Phew! Felt so bored too even though I've got work. I just want the weekend to come!

I don't really feel anything odd nor significant to say about the diet at the moment. Its still the same old thing, the scale is not being cooperative. Its so easy to give up like 'chuck it! Im gonna eat whatnot!' But Im just holding on. Im looking forward to the end result that I desire. Talk about relentless.

Day 26: deviation free. All meals taken on time, all allowances consumed. Vits too.
Mood = heavy. Discouraged.
Hunger = none. craving still.

No comments:

Post a Comment